on translation

MJ Hardman hardman at UFL.EDU
Wed Oct 1 00:39:51 UTC 2008

And then there is the whole issue of funding.  On one grant we did not get
it was stated in the judgements for not awarding that our arrangement to
involve native speakers and include annotations, grammatical analysis, etc
etc with all of the old texts from notebooks, was utterly useless; all we
had to do was scan the notebooks and some linguist in the future could do
all the analysis.  When all speakers are dead.  And no one is there is *say*
what it all meant.  So we keep plugging along as we can, but language is a
whole.  Right now, for Jaqaru, things are still so bad because of the
earthquake, but we all keep trying.  Right now there is one young man who is
trying to write down everything his grandfather told him.  His grandfather,
a compadre of ours, recently passed away.  This young man will, I think, be
one of the ones some of you have mentioned, but right now he is having
difficulty not thinking in Spanish, which is his dominant language.  But
that he keeps writing a lot and sending it to us for correction opens such
hope!

For those of you who don't know, 'us' is myself and Dr. Dimas Bautista, a
native speaker of Jaqaru, now in his 90s, who has completed a history of
Jaqaru, writing down what his grandparents told him, in Spanish but with
massive Jaqaru examples.  We thought we had a publisher, but the editor
changed while Dr. Bautista was correcting his work, and the new editor could
see no value in it.  So we are looking again.  We've approached a couple of
foundations and were blown off, quite rudely, actually.  I want it published
by someplace where it will be recognized, even if I have to subsidize the
publication because the book is so good and so full of such massive
information.  Oh well.  Translation and its problems.

MJ