on translation

MJ Hardman hardman at UFL.EDU
Wed Oct 1 16:03:59 UTC 2008

You are quite right, and it is awesome.  We had a similar experience in a
conference we sponsored back in 1975 where we provided the logistics for the
meeting of peoples who spoke indigenous languages throughout Latin America.
We supplied simultaneous translation for English and Spanish for the general
sessions, but not for the sessions that were indigenous people only.  Since
some of the people attending did not speak Spanish well, we were told of a
lot of such translation across many of the languages. But what I most
remember was the final banquet when so many got up spontaneously to thank us
and did so in their own languages and the many ways in which people then got
up to translate across so many other languages the beautiful words being
said.  It still gives me chills to remember.  We had a banquet planned but
it was entirely taken over by our invitees in the most beautiful and most
multilingual manner imaginable.  It lives only in our memories; we didn't
get it recorded nor written down nor filmed.  But that is OK too.  Like you
say, it was awesome!

In addition, such translation has given rise to a new variety of Spanish in
the Andes.  I was recently translating into English some work done by some
of the teachers in Tupe when I taught there in 2006 (it will shortly be up n
the earthquake webpage; I'll let this list know when it is there).  I was
brought up short.  I had translated it into Spanish because, now, everyone
is multilingual with Spanish and that is necessary for bilingual education,
and had experienced no problem.  Going into English made the Andean Spanish
shout at me.

Also, in Bolivia, the market women are typically multilingual starting with
both Quechua and Aymara.  As well, toponyms speak to past bilingualism, in
our area mostly Jaqi and some variety of Quechua, but one student did a
thesis regarding Moquegua, mostly Aymara today, but clearly with Quechua,
Puquina and Aymara multilingualism in the past.

A lovely topic.  We should indeed be more aware of this.

MJ