article

Richard Smith rzs at WILDBLUE.NET
Tue Oct 7 19:45:42 UTC 2008

 Rosalyn,
you said it so well.......
 I think for many of us, we've been thinking in a colonizers tongue so long
we've begun to see our own native languages as just more stuff to pile on
our lives.
a non-essential, a seasoning, a bit of color, a sweetener...but thats about
it.
People are already stressing at their limits just keeping up with their
bills.

Sure, colonization might have brought "jobs" but it has been disruptive
deep within our minds and hearts,probably in ways still undetermined.
When I remember what has happened to my own tribal members minds,
it helps keep me from becoming discouraged by the sheer weight of this work.

So sad to hear about the passing of your elder and mentor.
Here to, every year at ceremonies we see we are losing more and more.
Its like a piece of our backbone slowly being ripped out

-Richard
Wyandotte, Oklahoma