Parliament of the World's Religions

St Clair, Darlene K. dkstclair at STCLOUDSTATE.EDU
Fri Oct 31 19:33:32 UTC 2008

Han Mitakuyepi,

I am on the Indigenous Task Force for the upcoming Parliament of the World's Religions which will be held in Melbourne, Australia in December of 2009.

This committee is seeking recommendations for program topics and presenters representing Indigenous peoples worldwide. In general, we are looking for topics and/or names of presenters on Indigenous spirituality.  Topics can broadly relate to Indigenous spirituality and can include arts and cultural expressions. Presenters may be well known individuals or may be grass roots people whose work has been in their home communities and may not be well known outside their communities.

This task force is focusing on several regions of the earth:

Africa
Asia
North America
Central and South America, the Carribbean
Artic
Central and Eastern Europe
Russia, Central Asia and Transcaucasia

(Australia, New Zealand, the pacific islands will be covered by the Australia Indigenous Peoples Host Committee)

 The 2009 Parliament is focusing on three themes:
*Making a World of Difference
*Hearing Each Other
*Healing the Earth

With seven sub-topics:
Indigenous Peoples
Environment
Poverty
Food and Water
Social Cohesion
Peace and Justice
Inner Peace

Some topics (but not all) that we are considering:
*     Spirituality: could include topics such as Prophecy, Healing Practice, Chant/Dance Ceremony
*     Culture/Tradition: topics such as History, Education, Youth, Language, Intellectual Property, Cultural Cooperation
*     On-going Social/Political Issues: topics such as Land, Sovereignty, Colonization and De-Colonization, Sacred Sites, UN System (Legal human rights/declaration,) Water, Repatriation, Ethics in research, Gender Roles

Please respond to me directly. In your email, include the topic or issue that you think should be covered, which part(s) of the world this topic relates to, names of any recommended presenters, what indigenous community they come from, and what topic(s) they might speak to.

Thank you for your consideration.

Pidamayaye.

Darlene St. Clair

Darlene St. Clair