CHILE: Keeping Indigenous Languages Alive (fwd link)

Luke Kundl Pinette lkpinette at COMCAST.NET
Tue Sep 2 23:05:14 UTC 2008

The title seems a bit misleading.
So what is this supposed to do exactly?
If they don't teach them any language to near conversancy, it hardly
helps to preserve the language.  I know a few words in French, German,
and Portugese, I even know a couple of words in Aymara, which doesn't
mean I speak any of those languages.

If they're really concerned about teaching them about other cultures, it
seems to me that there are better ways.
And if they want to teach them the languages, they should only try to
teach as many as they have time and funding for, but in depth.
Teaching them a few words devoid of grammar and conversation seems about
as useful for teaching them about the culture as those sugar cube igloos
we made in grade school.

Does anybody have any possible benefit from this program?  It sounds
well intentioned severely misdirected to me.

Regards,
Luke