Studying Aboriginal language a new option at York (fwd)

Keola Donaghy donaghy at HAWAII.EDU
Sun Sep 7 07:27:07 UTC 2008

Aloha. Theses and dissertations written at both the University of
Hawai'i at Hilo and Manoa classes may also be written in Hawaiian, as
my own M.A. thesis was. The first such thesis would have been my
colleague Hiapo Perreira's, which was completed in 2002.

http://www.hawaii.edu/cgi-bin/uhnews-arc?20020513110638

Keola

On 6 Kep. 2008, at 9:02 PM, William J Poser wrote:

> The title and lead of this article are misleading. York is not
> introducing courses in aboriginal languages. Rather, graduate
> students now have the option of writing papers, master's theses,
> and doctoral dissertations in an aboriginal language, whereas
> previously such work had to be submitted in English or French.
>
> This may be innovative in making explicit provision for the use
> of aboriginal languages, but York is not really the first university
> to allow for work to be written in aboriginal languages. The
> University of British Columbia, for example, allows theses and
> dissertations to be written in languages other than English and
> French with the approval of the student's department and the
> Dean of Graduate Studies. My impression is that policies like
> this are actually pretty common.
>
> Bill

Keola Donaghy
Assistant Professor of Hawaiian Studies
Ka Haka 'Ula O Ke'elikolani             keola at leoki.uhh.hawaii.edu
University of Hawai'i at Hilo           http://www2.hawaii.edu/~donaghy/

"Tír gan teanga, tír gan anam."  (Irish Gaelic saying)
A country without its language is a country without its soul.