encouraging reading (was Bible Translations....)

William J Poser wjposer at LDC.UPENN.EDU
Sat Sep 27 02:44:49 UTC 2008

Suppose that we wanted to encourage reading in minority languages. Is
there a single text that would be attractive everywhere, or is reading
appeal too culture-specific?

According to my mother, who was in the publishing industry a long
time ago, the industry wisdom was that the most popular topics were
Lincoln, doctors, and dogs, so the perfect book would be about
Lincoln's doctor's dog. Non-Americans may not have the same interest
in Lincoln, or dogs, for that matter.

Bill