Bible Translations Save Cultures, Spark Koran Translations in Post-Soviet (fwd link)

Richard Smith rzs at WILDBLUE.NET
Sun Sep 28 20:35:56 UTC 2008

Bulbul and Bill
apologies certainly accepted and i'm sorry if i offended anyone.
actually  i was hoping my silly piece had a little "double edged" play.

Because I think those who see through the lenses of Naturalism can often be
just as vulnerable to indoctrination and become defensive of their paradigms
as passionately as religious fundamentalists can be.

Bart D. Ehrman Chair. of the Dept. of Religious Studies at the University of
Carolina,once an evangelical  Christian, studying source documents for the
N.Testament  (Greek and Latin) shares his own personal dilemma.
(in  "Misquoting Jesus")

He had a choice
Would he become a staunch defender of the FAITH?
or a defender of the truth he was discovering in these very human documents.
Seeing the bumpersticker "God said it, I believe it, That settles it for me"
he thought -  "What if God DIDN"T say it?"

I guess all of us in various linguistic fields probably ask ourselves,
How many of our "conclusions" are bent by our beliefs or desires?
vs. decisions made by an insatiable appetite to uncover reality.

Can one be too close emotionally in revitalization efforts
of ones OWN language to the point that decisions are rushed or
unconsciously bent towards goals that a skilled outsider linguist
 won't be temped by?  I find that would be hard to admit!

Bill, i definitely enjoyed that DARWIN WALL-STAIN!
reminded me of a "sacred smiley-face frybread" for a shrine
 using a butane torch...
inspired by a story about The Virgin Mary on a Tortilla
I once heard or read about...

personally
i enjoy these interactions on ILAT !

Richard Zane Smith