on translation

Daniel Kaufman bahasawan at GMAIL.COM
Mon Sep 29 13:53:21 UTC 2008

Interesting discussion on religion and languages. I've often thought
about this problem of linguists, indigenous peoples and bible
translations. Secular linguists often criticize missionary groups for
their exploitation of social and economical asymmetries to spread
their particular worldview to groups which may not be familiar with
life beyond their borders. The paradox of course is that these
missionary linguists often facilitate medical and social services
which are rarely provided by secular linguists. It is a frustration of
mine that atheism and secularism do not seem to be as conducive to
this type of humanitarian work. Among secular linguists, this probably
stems from the fact that our mission is to absorb and not to instruct,
to observe but not to alter. I, for instance, tend to think that I
have far more to learn from others in the field than I have to teach
them, especially in matters of "worldview". I happen to find it ironic
and somewhat absurd that the same culture which has been responsible
for so much war, genocide and environmental destruction is the same
culture which has spread throughout all corners of the globe with the
task of teaching morality to indigenous communities, those very
communities which felt and continue to feel the brunt of their
destructive actions in the first place.
In any case, I now think that the stance of aloof observation is
equally untenable in the present. Perhaps it is  incumbent on secular
linguists to prepare "unreached peoples" (to use the missionary term)
for the coming onslaught of modernity that will inevitably transform
their lives. To that end, maybe there really should be a common text
which can be translated and used to put things in context, to at least
diffuse the illusion that the wonders of anti-malaria pills and
airplanes come in a package which includes mid-western evangelical
Christianity. How about a text showing the consequences of Western
contact on Native Americans from an indigenous perspective? That's
certainly a story which I doubt has ever been heard from a missionary.

Dan