on translation

Wayne Leman wleman1949 at GMAIL.COM
Tue Sep 30 02:36:47 UTC 2008

Bill, I found this same reaction among Cheyennes. In fact, there is very
little desire among Cheyennes to read their own language. I hate to say it,
but I think sometimes that those who have the greatest desire for a people
group to become literate in their own language are people who are not
members of that people group.

People want to read for a variety of reasons (often, they want to learn to
read a majority language for economic reasons, so they can get a better job,
etc.). People decide to  maintain their languages for a variety of reasons.
There is little that we linguists can do about either, I suggest. We can,
obviously, serve as resource people when people do want to write their
language, records their oral literature, or develop curricula to try to
teach their language to their own people so it will be preserved.

I collected a large number of Cheyenne stories and first person oral
narratives and published them. But Cheyennes have little interest in reading
them, in their language. They would rather buy books written by
non-Cheyennes, in English, about the old days among the Cheyennes,
especially if there are good pictures.

I don't know how characteristic the Cheyenne situation is of that of other
language groups, but after several years of trying to do what linguists do
among the Cheyennes, I had to conclude that what I had to offer was not very
valuable to them, at least not now. Someday they will look at the
dictionaries and collections of oral literature and wish they still had
their language. It's disheartening. And it's happening all over the world.
There is plenty of blame to go around. But we also need a good amount of
realism as we seek government grants and other resources to try to do what
sometimes the people themselves have already decided they don't want. They
made their decision when they did not teach their language to their
children. And, yes, if we survey them, they will always say that their
language should be taught in the schools. But it's just a token effort. It
can't keep the language alive.

If we want to give people something that they want, we need to find out what
they want, not simply give them what we think they need. If they want to
hear the old bedtime stories, we can teach them how to record them to CDs.
If they want to learn how to identify traditional herbs or keep up
traditional basket-weaving or other skills, there might be some ways we can
help with those tasks.

Sorry for the negative words, and as someone who is part Native American, a
member of a group in Alaska who lost our language entirely to the
colonialists, not just once, but twice (Russians, then Americans), I really
do care.

Wayne
-----
Wayne Leman