on translation

Jon Reyhner Jon.Reyhner at NAU.EDU
Tue Sep 30 22:13:03 UTC 2008

It was Elias Boudinot, a Cherokee, who edited the bilingual newspaper,
the Cherokee Phoenix,  starting in 1828 till it was shut down a few
years later as part of the forced removal of the Cherokee to "Indian
Territory" (what is now Oklahoma mainly).

Jon Reyhner
Professor of Education
Northern Arizona University