field mic...

Aidan Wilson aidan at USYD.EDU.AU
Sun Apr 19 02:03:45 UTC 2009

Okay, I composed and sent a message on this thread, but my terminal window
closed before it could send it, and it didn't keep a copy. So here's the
short version:

I used a pair of matched C-2s during my first few fieldtrips, incidentally
I used them with the PMD660, and someone from AIATSIS claimed that they
were among the best and clearest recordings he's heard.

They're cheap: $100 for a pair including a stereo mic-stand mounting bar,
though they come without cables. They're also very small and light.
http://www.behringer.com/EN/Products/C-2.aspx
Oh, and they run entirely off phantom power.

If you want to go a little higher end, it's pretty hard to do better than
the Rode NT4. It records excellent sound in the field. It's just about my
favourite microphone. However it's considerably more expensive than the
Behringers, it retails here for somewhere around $650. For another 50
bucks though, you can get a shock mount. This takes out all unwanted
vibrations, so that someone tapping the table (on which the microphone
stand sits (stands)) sounds like someone tapping a table as opposed to
someone laying right into a punching bag in front of the mic.
Mic: http://www.rodemic.com/microphone.php?product=NT4
Shock mount: http://www.rodemic.com/accessory.php?product=SM4
It comes with cables (both 1/4" TRS and dual-mono XLR), a windsock and a
mic clip (it's larger size means it won't fit in most). And it runs off a
9-volt battery.

-Aidan
Paradisec

--