Siraya update

MJ Hardman hardman at UFL.EDU
Thu Apr 23 21:22:02 UTC 2009

The Ministry of Education in Peru was informed by one 'linguist' that they
could write a primer and then translate it into all of the languages of the
nation (in the dozens if not hundreds), using the same pictures with only
minor adjustments for mountains and jungles and that it would be fine.  The
translations were literal.  I remember seeing those publications piled up
utterly unused but occupying enormous amounts of floor space.  The Min Ed
also attempted to have one universal alphabet, so, as one person put it, all
the languages would be mutually intelligible.  (they did say that!).  Some
groups who really do want bilingual education have revolted against this.
One such account can be read at
http://www.latam.ufl.edu/hardman/jaqaru/julio6.html.  One of the jungle
groups has also made a great deal of noise in rejecting the Min Ed
materials.

Meanwhile, the attempt to impose such materials does a lot of damage.  And,
like in Taiwan, the government can claim it is 'doing' bilingual education
and language conservation.

MJ