Sengwer language of western Kenya

Susan Penfield susan.penfield at GMAIL.COM
Sun Apr 26 17:32:05 UTC 2009

Hi Don,
They might want to get in touch with Kennedy Boisere  or Gladys Machomobo
who are community scholars/ linguists developing a program with Ekegusii
...(check out the online site) or write to them...I

*http://web.ukonline.co.uk/suttonelms/ekegusii1.html*<http://web.ukonline.co.uk/suttonelms/ekegusii1.html>

Susan

On Sun, Apr 26, 2009 at 11:56 AM, Don Osborn <dzo at bisharat.net> wrote:

>  [forwarding this message which was sent to the closed list, A12n-forum]
>

> Hello A12n
>

> On recent travels to Kenya, I met with a number of indigenous language
> groups who are struggling to maintain and/or renew their language and
> culture. I'm a non-expert with concern that these groups be given the chance
> to flourish once again.
>

> One such group, the Sengwer People of the Charangani Hills area of western
> Kenya, expressed the need for linguistics help (i.e. orthography, see note
> below) when I passed on a contact for the First Voices' Endangered Language
> publishing project, which you may know about through another Canadian A12n
> member, Peter Brand.
>

> Has anyone on the list worked in this part of Kenya, or able to make a
> connection with the Sengwer? I will pass on contact information if this
> seems appropriate.
>

> Thanks,
>
> Phil Vernon
>
> (new) list member
>

> Sengwer comment:
>
> We haven't had a volunteer with knowledge on linguistics or  financial
> support to hire a linguistic consultant to put the language correctly
> according to how it is spoken/pronounced.

Susan D. Penfield, Ph.D.
(Currently on leave to the National Science Foundation.
E-mail: spenfiel at nsf.gov)

Department of English (Primary)
Faculty affiliate in Linguistics, Language, Reading and Culture,
Second Language Acquisition and Teaching (SLAT),
American Indian Language Development Institute (AILDI)
The Southwest Center
University of Arizona,
Tucson, Arizona 85721