Request for info from/about indigenous groups that have/have had good relationship with linguists

Heather Souter hsouter at GMAIL.COM
Mon Apr 27 18:00:28 UTC 2009

Taanshi, hello,

Heather Souter d-ishinikaashon.  En Michif Campeville, MB, Canada ohchi.  My
name is Heather Souter.  I am a Michif (Metis) from Camperville, Manitoba,
Canada.

Those working in language documentation/revitalization of Michif (Metis)
languages continue to face many challenges.  One is the lack of
understanding about the possible positive contributions linguists (both
indigenous and non-indigenous) can make to language policy and program
formation and implementation.  Now, I am aware that there have been many
negative experiences with anthropologists and linguists in the past, but I
would like to know of positive experiences and relationship in the present.
My intention is to provide this information to our provincial Minister of
Michif Languages (Manitoba Metis Federation) with the hope that it will
inspire our politicians and bureaucrats to actively explore the
possibilities of respectful collaboration with academics and other language
professionals.

I thank you in advance for any information you may provide.

Eekoshi pitamaa. That is all for now.
Heather Souter
Language Activist and Community Language Researcher