Aboriginal language rescue: ‘cynical and false’(fwd link)

Sun Aug 16 16:04:40 UTC 2009

Aboriginal language rescue: ‘cynical and false’

Kerry Smith

Environment minister Peter Garrett announced on August 10 that $9 million will
be spent on rescuing 100 Aboriginal languages. However, the Tasmanian
Aboriginal Centre condemned the plan as “cynical and false”.

“If this really was a new initiative, then we would be excited”, said Nala
Mansell-McKenna, state secretary of the Tasmanian Aboriginal Centre (TAC), on
August 11. “But the truth is that this is just the usual annual funding round,
releasing exactly the same amount of funds as last year.

“And, just like last year, the amount of funds allocated is less than half of
the amount that Aborigines across Australia considered necessary to even begin
to maintain our languages. Applications were received for $18 million.”

TAC also criticised the focus of the funding, which concentrates on
institutional support rather than living languages.

Access full article below:
http://www.greenleft.org.au/2009/807/41532