2,500 languages threatened with extinction: UNESCO (fwd link)

Gibson, Loring lgibson at ROSETTASTONE.COM
Thu Feb 19 22:07:14 UTC 2009

Hello.  I had requested that the contact information for Rosetta Stone be changed to Katie Burner at kburner at rosettastone.com.  Please let me know if this has been received be the right person. Thank you very much for all of your help!

-----Original Message-----
From: Indigenous Languages and Technology [mailto:ILAT at LISTSERV.ARIZONA.EDU] On Behalf Of phil cash cash
Sent: Thursday, February 19, 2009 5:04 PM
To: ILAT at LISTSERV.ARIZONA.EDU
Subject: 2,500 languages threatened with extinction: UNESCO (fwd link)

2,500 languages threatened with extinction: UNESCO

4 hours ago

PARIS (AFP) — The world has lost Manx in the Isle of Man, Ubykh in Turkey and
last year Alaska's last native speaker of Eyak, Marie Smith Jones, died, taking
the aboriginal language with her.

Of the 6,900 languages spoken in the world, some 2,500 are endangered, the UN's
cultural agency UNESCO said Thursday as it released its latest atlas of world
languages.

That represents a multi-fold increase from the last atlas compiled in 2001 which
listed 900 languages threatened with extinction.

Access full article below:
http://www.google.com/hostednews/afp/article/ALeqM5hC3HaSBPpUrVb0BHVDhzNNsC91IA