Questions Regarding Innovative Online Dictionaries

Neskie Manuel neskiem at GMAIL.COM
Wed Jan 21 08:17:48 UTC 2009

Weytk Heather,

A somewhat answer to your first question would be that Content
Management Systems and Drupal in particular are interesting
technologies that can be used to implement online dictionaries.  They
allow anyone with a bit of experience to create an online dictionary
with all kinds of interesting features, including audio, video, and
any of the necessary fields you would need to classify the words.

You could even have it so that the online dictionary is developed in
more of a wiki style where anybody could add words.  For control
purposes you could have someone check over words that have been
entered.

On top of this Drupal has an internationalization module [1] that
allows you to translate the Drupal interface into whatever language
you want.  I started an online wordlist [2] one afternoon, but haven't
got into filling in the rest of the info.

Drupal is free to downoload and is open source.

-Neskie

[1] - http://drupal.org/project/i18n
[2] - http://secpewt.sd73.bc.ca/wordlist