Native language film & vid festival

Richard LaFortune anguksuar at YAHOO.COM
Thu Jan 22 18:15:31 UTC 2009

there have been all these Native films festivals
proliferating across the hemisphere over the past
decade or so...what about a Native Language Film &
Video Festival?  there is an existing corpus of work
developed over this same span of time that features
Native language as the primary or only vehicle for
communicating the storyline, with more on the way:

Bambi in Arapaho
Windwalker in Cheyenne
Atanarjuat (Inuit)
Squanto- Algonquin
Dances w Wolves- Lakota
etc
does there exist an inventory/database  of feature
films or documentaries in our languages?  That's a
tool for all of our communities and our media allies,
as well as funders and journalists.

in this mass media society Native (young) people
especially need to see all in one place what our
stories (or others' stories adapted to our needs) look
like in the framework of newer technologies, legible
to the cosmos of young people and children, inspiring
them to see themselves telling our stories in our
languages -and in a mode that likewise demonstrates to
the world that our people, cultures and languages are
relevant to the Information Age- to increase the
likelihood of inspiring new works where not only our
intangible assets are treated w dignity, but where our
languages become the celebrities.
Anguksuar