Languages key to Nationhood: Beaucage (fwd link)

Wed Jun 10 16:10:25 UTC 2009

Languages key to Nationhood: Beaucage

Canada

    MONTREAL, June 10 /CNW/ - John Beaucage, candidate for the office of
National Chief, has challenged all First Nations and leaders to make language
a priority, stating that languages are the key to indigenous Nationhood. In
addressing the Chiefs of the Assembly of First Nations of Quebec and Labrador,
former Grand Council Chief Beaucage made further commitments to enhance French
language services at the Assembly of First Nations (AFN). "As Nations we are
people who have distinct cultures. As such, it is our languages that define
us. Language is key to Nationhood," said Beaucage, a citizen of Wasauksing
First Nation in Ontario. "Our languages are sacred, and protecting and
restoring them should be a priority for our Chiefs and citizens."

Access full article below:
http://www.newswire.ca/en/releases/archive/June2009/10/c4989.html