World's many languages are dying out; can we stop it? (fwd link)

Thu Jun 18 05:37:31 UTC 2009

World's many languages are dying out; can we stop it?

June 16, 6:34 PM
USA

According to the new atlas of UNESCO, among the 6,000 languages existing in the
world 2,500 of them are about to disappear or have already stopped their
existence. About 3,000 languages irrevocably lose their carriers every year.
Thus, out of 97 percent of the population of the planet only 4 percent are
carriers of the languages. Most likely, by the end of the 21st century
dominating languages will supersede 90 percent of all the existing ones.

Access full article below:
http://www.examiner.com/x-2627-DC-International-Travel-Examiner~y2009m6d16-Worlds-many-languages-are-dying-out-can-we-stop-it