Summit Seeks Lifeline for Imperiled Native Languages (fwd link)

Tue Jun 23 16:07:22 UTC 2009

Summit Seeks Lifeline for Imperiled Native Languages

by Kara Briggs
USA

Richard Grounds left his work at the University of Tulsa to take on a more
pressing task-teaching preschoolers in Sapulpa, Okla., the Yuchi language,
which only five elders still speak.

“We’re trying to be smart about it,” says Grounds, a professor of anthropology.
“We’re trying to take advantage of the time we have with our elders. We feel
blessed to have the opportunity we do have.”

Last month, the Smithsonian’s National Museum of the American Indian hosted
“From Code Talkers to Immersion: Native American Language Summit.” The
participants represented close to 200 Native language speakers and teachers who
are concerned that without immediate steps, dozens of Native languages will
disappear in their lifetime.

Access full article below:
http://colorsnw.com/colors/2009/06/23/summit-seeks-lifeline-for-imperiled-native-languages/