Lifetime achiever credits his success to learning Ojibwe in school playground (fwd)

Sat Mar 7 16:03:54 UTC 2009

Lifetime achiever credits his success to learning Ojibwe in school playground
ABORIGINAL AWARDS: Honoured for education excellence

Posted By MARCI BECKING
Canada

Cecil King received a National Aboriginal Achievement Award for education
excellence Friday night and he says it all started with learning Ojibwe in the
school yard.

In my household, I was raised speaking English. My grandmother was a teacher and
believed that I would need English to get along in the world," says King. I
learned Ojibwe from my peers at Buzwah School (in Wikwemikong) on the
playground. Kohkwehns, a local Elder in Buzwah and a very traditional person --
taught me many traditional things such as medicines. I learned many Ojibwe
expressions from her when we would go together to pick medicines, berries or
other things which she wanted to teach me.

Access full article below:
http://www.nugget.ca/ArticleDisplay.aspx?e=1467443