Cunning linguist (fwd link)

James Crippen jcrippen at GMAIL.COM
Thu Mar 12 17:43:42 UTC 2009

On Wed, Mar 4, 2009 at 06:23, phil cash cash <cashcash at email.arizona.edu> wrote:
> Cunning linguist
> A look at what it takes to save dying languages
>
> Interview by Adrienne LaFrance
> Mar 4, 2009
>
> On March 12, linguists from across the globe will descend on Hawai‘i to discuss
> the loss of language around the world, and how to prevent it. Chair of the
> Linguistics Department at the University of Hawai‘i at Mānoa Nick
> Thieberger is one of the conference’s organizers and took time to chat with the
> Weekly about what languages we’re losing and what it will take to preserve
> entire cultures, one word at a time.
>
> Access full article below:
> http://honoluluweekly.com/qanda/2009/03/cunning-linguist/

BTW, one blatant sign of bad reporting in this article is the claim
that Nick is our department chair. I like him a lot, and hence would
never wish this job on him. William O'Grady is in fact our department
chair, having taken over from Bob Blust last year. A quick look at our
department website would have made this obvious, so it's clear the
reporter did absolutely nothing other than typing up the "interview".

The Honolulu Weekly is well known for being useful only for bird cages
and wrapping fish. Its only significance is that it publishes letters
that are more angry than our daily papers will accept.

James