Documentary series about Aboriginal languages to air on APTN

Paul Rickard okimah at MAC.COM
Tue Mar 17 00:30:32 UTC 2009

March 16, 2009

FINDING OUR TALK – SEASON 3 – A DOCUMENTARY SERIES ABOUT ABORIGINAL
LANGUAGES TO AIR ON APTN

Montreal, Quebec — Every fourteen days a language dies. By the year
2100 more than half of the world's languages will disappear.  These
are tough statistics, but it doesn't have to be that way.  Indigenous
people everywhere are fighting to beat the odds.  It's a remarkable
story told in the exciting new documentary series Finding Our Talk 3,
set to premiere on APTN (Aboriginal Peoples Television Network) on
Wednesday April 1st at 10:30pm Eastern Standard Time.

Finding Our Talk 3 is a continuing documentary series of 13 half hour
episodes produced by Mushkeg Media Inc. that looks at the state of
Aboriginal languages both within Canada and the boarder indigenous
world.  The series discovers and shares their successes by focusing on
and celebrating the many individuals, communities and organizations
that are reclaiming their language, and along with it, their culture,
their stories and often, their very existence as a people.

In the first two seasons, the series focused on Aboriginal languages
in Canada.  In Season 3, Finding Our Talk goes beyond borders to look
at the state of indigenous languages like Sami, Mayan, Quechan, Maori,
Gumbaynggirr, Arrente, Hawaiian, Chitimacha, as well as languages like
Mi'gmaq, Abenaki and Anishnabe that are closer to home.  It looks at
the effects new technologies and methods play in language
revitalization, as a new generation takes up the responsibilities of
language preservation in their home communities.

The documentary crews spent five months traveling to various countries
such as New Zealand, Australia, Norway, Guatemala, Bolivia, USA and
Canada to bring these remarkable stories of language revitalization,
preservation and promotion.  The first four episodes that are
scheduled to air as follows:

EPISODE 1: ANISHNABE

Broadcast date: April 1, 2009

Rapid Lake, an Algonquin community where most people still speak
Anishnabe is divided between the traditionalists and the federally
appointed band council.  In the neighbouring community of Kiticiaskik,
which has always refused reserve status, a young videographer uses his
skills to revive culture and language.

“An internal separation occurred that affected families, and since
then, a linguistic divide exists in the community.  A lot of damage
has stemmed from the residential schools, so as a result, the language
and culture were neglected.  Today that generation is in their 40s and
50s and they’ve managed to reclaim their language and culture, but
most parents here speak French with their children.  It’s become a
habit.” - Kevin Papatie videographer, coordinator, Studio Midaweski,
Kiticiaskik, Quebec

EPISODE 2: MI’GMAQ

Broadcast date: April 8, 2009

A Mi'maq community that lost its language as it gained economic
prosperity takes advantage of two powerful tools to help bring the
language back into everyday use.  One is a unique picture based
teaching method, and the other is the support of the elders.

“The language helps you think differently.  It is a native way of
thinking.  I tell my children, ‘If you don’t have your language how
can you call yourself native?’ It’s difficult to say, but it’s the
truth.   As a speaker, you know you think differently.” - Gail
Mettalic, Executive Director, Listiguj Education Directorate,
Listiguj, Quebec

EPISODE 3: ABENAKI

Broadcast date: April 15, 2009

The Abenaki language has managed to survive the past several
generations with only one speaker, like Cecile Wawanette or Monique
Nolette Ille, per generation teaching a mere handful of students in
Odanak or the eastern United States. Today their students, Philippe
Chartrand and Brent Read, maintain the thin lifeline to this
endangered language.

“There (are) 6 fluent Abenaki speakers: 3 in Canada and 3 in the US.
So I mean you can’t get much more endangered than that.”  - Nancy
Milette, Chief of the Koasaek Band of the Koas, Vermont

EPISODE 4: KTUNAXA

Broadcast date: April 22, 2009

Can the 'wired teepee' help save the Ktunaxa language in the
Kootenays? The Ktunaxa people are going to find out because these days
this unique, ancient language is heard coming from computers, tape
recorders, the Internet, video cameras, and iPods.

“Our elder was a visionary, when she told us that if we felt that we
had lost so much within that (residential school) building, that it
was up to us to go back in there and take it back.  What she was
telling us is that you don’t lose your language and culture because
somebody’s taken it away.  You lose it when you refuse to pick it up
yourself.  Today, our young people have that ability cause we have all
the technology for picking our language back up again and making it
useful for everyday use.”  - Sophie Pierre, Chief of the Ktunaxa
Nation, Cranbrook, British Columbia

Finding Our Talk 3 will be airing from April 1st to June 24th, every
Wednesday night at:

7:30pm PST (if you're in Vancouver)

8:30pm CST (if you're in Edmonton)

9:30pm MST (if you’re in Regina)

10:30pm EST (if you're in Montreal)

11:30pm ADT (if you're in Halifax)

The series is also available in HD broadcast on APTN HD (Bell
ExpressVu, Channel 808), starting on: Tuesday, March 24th, 2009 @
11:30am EST, Wednesday, March 25th, 2009 @ 2:00pm EST and Friday,
March 27th, 2009 @ 2:30am and 2:00pm EST

The documentary series is produced by Mushkeg Media Inc. an Aboriginal-
owned production company working with First Nations directors and
crews.  Finding Our Talk 3 is being produced in English, along with
French and Mohawk language versions, with special attention to the
various languages presented for broadcast on APTN and Maori TV.

For more information about Mushkeg Media and to view clips from
Finding Our Talk seasons 1 & 2 and well as upcoming episode
descriptions of season three, visit us at: www.mushkeg.ca

For media information and interviews, please contact:

Sherren Lee

Telephone:  514 279 3507 – Email: sherren at mushkeg.ca

Mushkeg Media Inc.

103 Villeneuve Ouest