Powerful mate revs up remote students (fwd link)

Dave Pearson dave_pearson at SIL.ORG
Sat May 30 11:25:13 UTC 2009

Hi Jennifer,

You can run the freeware "WeSay" dictionary-building software on the OLPC
machine.

"WeSay helps non-linguists build a dictionary in their own language. It has
various ways to help native speakers to think of words in their language and
enter some basic data about them (no backslash codes, just forms to fill
in). The program is customizable and task-oriented, giving the advisor the
ability to turn on/off tasks as needed and as the user receives training for
those tasks. WeSay uses a standard xml format, so data can be exchanged with
linguist-oriented tools like FieldWorks. Users can collaborate via USB flash
drive, email, and (soon) via network connections."

http://www.wesay.org/wiki/Main_Page

Dave Pearson

-----Original Message-----
From: Indigenous Languages and Technology [mailto:ILAT at LISTSERV.ARIZONA.EDU]
On Behalf Of Jennifer Teeter
Sent: 30 May 2009 02:05
To: ILAT at LISTSERV.ARIZONA.EDU
Subject: Re: [ILAT] Powerful mate revs up remote students (fwd link)

Hello everyone!

Thank you Phil Cash Cash for sending out another thought provoking
article! This is my first time to post something here so yorkshiku
onegaishimasu(I hope it's okay!)
I am curious to hear people's opinions of the "One laptop per Child"
initiative mentioned in this article. I am a little concerned with the
approach not necessarily the lap top itself. The teachers at the
school are saying it is making their lives easier. But is that causing
them not to deeply confront and overcome the issues that prevent
students from attending school. I feel that if used improperly, the
laptop solution could be a bandaid solution. What are the best ways to
implement this program? If you have time it would be great to gear
your opinions.

Best regards

jennifer teeter