The Role of Technology in Indigenous Language Revitalization

s.t. bischoff bischoff.st at GMAIL.COM
Wed Nov 4 16:49:07 UTC 2009

Thanks Jon for pointing out this interesting article that does an
excellent job of categorizing various types of technology and uses as
well as providing nice illustrative applications and history. It seems
Candice has reached a similar conclusion to that many in this thread
seem to have reached:

"In order to indicate whether technology has an impact (positive or
negative) on language learning, a research study, as well as a
language assessment, must be conducted. The overall sense from the
published articles on Indigenous languages suggests that there is a
general “contentment” and satisfaction to what technology has
provided. Yet there is no data that shows
that the technology used in the classroom has affected language
learning in anyway. The literature does not reveal whether students
are evaluated in content areas and skills or if the use of technology
was assessed. A self-assessment would be a possible tool to evaluate
growth and development of the language learner. Using self-assessment,
students can track their own progress and become responsible for their
learning and their potential. Overall, the critical assessment and
in-depth study on the integration of technology and the Indigenous
language should include at bare minimum the program used, the purpose
of the tool, how the tool is actually being used, how the students are
being assessed, what is being assessed, and overall effectiveness. In
addition, it is important to note how the tool has made its way in to
the classroom; was the technology integration initiated by the
teacher, school board, student, IT director or was it a requirement
from a higher administrator?"

Once again, if any one has specific questions they think could be
addressed in an online survey I'm happy to put it together, collect
the results, and submit them to the listserv. I do remember Candice
had sent out a questionnaire on the listserv several months
ago...perhaps it is already being done.

Cheers,
Shannon