Question on assessing technology for endangered language communities

Chun Jimmy Huang huangc20 at UFL.EDU
Sat Nov 7 18:43:24 UTC 2009

Last year I was asked by the Chinese Department here at UF to
participate in a Second Life project. But really all I was asked
to do was to record some dialogues for a virtual Chinese character
IN ENGLISH. So the project isn't even for SLA: supposedly, English
speakers can go to the virtual Second China and engage in English
conversations with the virtual Chinese people and learn about
their culture (how is this possible?! and I am not even
Chinese!!). And the program doesn't seem really "interactive,"
either, for all the recorded dialogues are fixed. But the biggest
flaw, in my opinion, is the presumption of a singular Chinese
culture, not unlike the myth of "an" American culture... yep, long
live nationalism!

Still, I think Second Life or other virtual reality programs do
have the potential for indigenous language continuation. As Phil
said, the challenge is how to create a culturally appropriate
"context." So again, while technology is convenient, its success
depends on people's mind and attitude, and understanding of
"culture".

Anyone interested in Second China can access it here:
http://cero11.cise.ufl.edu/~webmaster/index.html

Jimmy