article

Heather Souter hsouter at GMAIL.COM
Sat Nov 7 21:45:34 UTC 2009

Taanshi, hello....

Rolland, your words are very powerful!  Thank-you!  (I hope you will allow
me to quote you....)

I am presently trying to work out my dissertation proposal and am struggling
with issues of identity, relation to land and language for our people.  Many
in positions of power focus on genealogical connection and acceptance in a
"community" as the most important markers of who we are.  However, as
indigenous peoples we did not come to be except through our relationship
with the land and the practices that are based on that relationship.  Our
languages express that relationship in their
processes/structures/content....   The land is the place from which our
languages spring forth and through our connection/symbiosis with (and/or
impact on) the land  and then develop, change and--in many important
ways--help reproduce the relationships many of our Elders enjoy and our
ancestors before them.  I see the need to speak our languages, to practice
the ways of our ancestors and to renew our relationship with the land while
incorporating---when and where appropriate for our collective survival as
distinct peoples-- the new technologies of the modern/digital age.  How do
we promote co-present learning from/with Elders and other knowledge keepers
as well as best use digital technologies to promote the
maintenance/stabilization/revitalization/renewal of our languages and
communication practices? Can we do both?  Are they mutually exclusive?  How
do digital technologies affect our relationship with the land and with the
others (the plants, the animals, etc.) who inhabit it with us?  How does
digital technology--especially computer mediated communication--effect our
relationships in our emplaced human communities?  With Elders, family and
friends who live near us?  Does digital technology promote the
decontextualization of our relationships and therefore fundamentally change
them and who we are as peoples?  Is there a way to balance the present-day
"need" for digital technology with our need to be co-present with with
others in order to maintain a sense of who we are as Indigenous peoples?  I
have so many questions and no answers....

Thanks for listening....
Eekoshi pitamaa.  That is all for now.
Heather