question

Sarah Braun Hamilton sarahbraun.hamilton at GMAIL.COM
Sat Oct 10 20:22:51 UTC 2009

Hi Tammy,

I don't know of any specific research off hand about this, but you
might check the general heritage language literature, as I know that
programs teaching majority languages like Spanish and Russian to the
children of immigrants have worked a lot with this issue. One thing I
have tried to help "understanders" recognize their language knowledge
and move them towards speaking confidence is having them translate
from the language into English: listen to someone speaking (in person
or a recording), and then tell what they said in English. Then they
can work with the English to "back translate" into the language,
accumulating a set a phrases that they know they can understand and
recognize in the language, and work on reproducing them. I haven't had
the opportunity yet to experiment extensively with this method, but
what little I have done does seem promising.

I'd be interested to know if you find any good research in this area.
I'll let you know if I come across anything.

Best wishes,
Sarah Braun Hamilton
Portland State University