Canoe Culture

Susan Penfield susan.penfield at GMAIL.COM
Mon Oct 26 16:05:47 UTC 2009

message ----------

Greetings Friends,

We are pleased and grateful to announce the new documentary *Canoe Way: The
Sacred Journey* was selected to play at the American Indian Film Festival on
November 10th in San Francisco. Producers Robert Satiacum and Mark Celletti
would like to thank and acknowledge everyone who gave their words, songs and
dances to make this very special film possible.

The revival of cedar canoe culture and Tribal Journeys is one of the most
significant cultural movements of our time. It serves as an example of *healing
through tradition* for indigenous cultures throughout the world. Knowledge
of the earth and sea, customs, language, and spiritual practices – nearly
erased from our human experience – are triumphantly reestablished and
celebrated through the canoe pulling and ceremonies of each Tribal Journey.
Coastal natives, reconnect with the ancestors, with the traditions, with
each other, with the water.

*“We are taking our canoes out of the museums and putting them back in the
water ­– and showing the world our culture is alive.” *

This documentary bears witness to a turning point - back to wholeness for
Native Americans of the Northwest Coast. And we thank the many people who
opened up their hearts lives and traditions to make this film possible.

With love and respect,

Robert Satiacum - Co-Producer
Mark Celletti  - Co-Producer and Director
www.cedarmedia.org
www.canoeway.org
www.nativeelders.org

*If you have had a chance to see Canoe Way, we’d like to hear what you
think. Please post a comment at one of our web sites:*

Puyallup Nation Blog:

http://puyallupnation.com/2009/09/08/canoe-way-the-sacred-journey.aspx

MySpace:

http://groups.myspace.com/canoeway

Facebook:

http://www.facebook.com/reqs.php#/pages/Canoe-Way-The-Sacred-Journey/156607181760

You Tube

http://www.youtube.com/mcelletti

Twitter

http://twitter.com/canoeway

We would like to see this 50-minute documentary in schools, libraries and
homes all over the world. Please let us know if there is a way you can help.
If you would like a preview copy of *Canoe Way: The Sacred Journey*, send an
e-mail to: celletti123 at comcast.net

For information on screens and how to get a copy, visit: www.canoeway.org

Susan D. Penfield, Ph.D.
(Currently on leave to the National Science Foundation.
E-mail: spenfiel at nsf.gov
Phone at NSF: 703-292-4535)

Department of English (Primary)
Faculty affiliate in Linguistics, Language, Reading and Culture,
Second Language Acquisition and Teaching (SLAT),
American Indian Language Development Institute (AILDI)
The Southwest Center
University of Arizona,
Tucson, Arizona 85721