Rupert schools consider teaching Haida, Nisga ’alanguages (fwd link)

Thu Sep 17 19:28:06 UTC 2009

Rupert schools consider teaching Haida, Nisga’a languages

Written by George T. Baker
Prince Rupert Daily News
Tuesday, 15 September 2009
Canada

The Prince Rupert school board has been asked to begin teaching Haida in local
schools.

The request came before the summer hit and trustees broke off for vacation.
School District 52 answered it by having the district’s consultant, Dave
Stigant, work on a response plan to investigate the costs and benefits to
implementing a second aboriginal language-teaching program in Prince Rupert.

However, the challenge is how to accommodate such lessons without offending
another First Nation community that would like the school district to teach
their own language.

“I would be remiss if I didn’t mention that the Nisga’a [in Prince Rupert] have
already asked for many years without getting this kind of response,” said
trustee Russell Wiens.

Access full article below:
http://www.princegeorgecitizen.com/20090915213364/local/news/rupert-schools-consider-teaching-haida-nisga-146a-languages.html