Using Skype Video to train teachers of endangered languages

Willem Larsen willemlarsen at GMAIL.COM
Sat Apr 17 15:53:40 UTC 2010

A blurb about our work using Skype to train teachers in language
revitalization:

-----------------------

Language program developers Evan Gardner and Willem Larsen (Portland, OR)
have been developing the "Where Are Your Keys?" (WAYK) language
revitalization system to train language teachers in Chinuk Wawa, over the
past decade, at the Confederated Tribes of the Grande Ronde (Oregon), and
more recently with Chinook Nation (Washington).

In November 2009, in partnership with Squamish Nation member and language
teacher Dustin Rivers, they began developing a Sḵwx̱wú7mesh snichim WAYK
teacher-training program in Vancouver, B.C.

Part of the work involved experimenting with Skype as a long-distance
mentoring tool for Dustin. They recorded a series of videos, in which Dustin
Rivers trains Chinook Nation WAYK insttructor Justin Robinson to teach
Sḵwx̱wú7mesh snichim over Skype. The entirety of the recorded Skype lessons
took about two hours total, over two sessions of Skype.

More information on the "Where Are Your Keys?" community language
revitalization system:

http://www.whereareyourkeys.org

The Squamish language Skype videos:

Squamish #1, "What is that?"
http://vimeo.com/10327677
Squamish #2, Techniques "Pull me through it" and "Sing-a-long Song"
http://vimeo.com/10340070
Squamish #3, Techniques "Slow/Fast", "Craig's List: Positives"
http://vimeo.com/10339990
Squamish #4, "Is that a...?"
http://vimeo.com/10340108
Squamish #5, Techniques "Craig's List: Negatives"
http://vimeo.com/10381097
Squamish #6, "Is that your...?" "Is that my...?"
http://vimeo.com/10382760
Squamish #7, "What is that?" (second session)
http://vimeo.com/10466329
Squamish #8, "Do you want...?" (want/have/give/take)
http://vimeo.com/10466906