CU project seeks local speakers of rare Latin American languages (fwd link)

Phillip E Cash Cash cashcash at EMAIL.ARIZONA.EDU
Wed Aug 4 19:13:07 UTC 2010

CU project seeks local speakers of rare Latin American languages
Area probably hosts 2,500 speakers, but finding them is proving difficult

By Whitney Bryen bryen at coloradodaily.com
USA

Researchers in the University of Colorado's linguistics department think
there are probably about 2,500 people in the Denver and Boulder area who
speak rare languages indigenous to Latin America.

That could help students get local, hands-on experience helping preserve the
languages and cultures, but there's one problem: Finding the speakers.

"We know they're out there," said Finn Thye, a second-year linguistics
doctoral student who is interning this summer with the Latin American
Indigenous Language Documentation Project. "We just can't find them."

Read more: http://www.coloradodaily.com/cu-boulder/ci_15662644#ixzz0vfM7Z8dO
Coloradodaily.com