Hmar, Paite, Mao language extinct: UN report (fwd link)

scott delancey delancey at UOREGON.EDU
Fri Aug 6 18:21:28 UTC 2010

There's something a bit odd about this report, as you can see if you read the article.
All these languages are certainly endangered, and AFAIK there's no one left who can
really speak Andro or Sekmai (although I could be wrong, and it's kind of a sensitive issue
to call them "extinct"), but I have met and talked with speakers of Purum and Paite within the
past two years, and I know linguists in Manipur who are currently working with speakers
of Aimol and Tarao.  In fact there are speakers of several of the languages listed here --
many of them in their 20's and 30's -- who have degrees in linguistics from Manipur University
or other universities in the region and are actively working on documenting and developing
their home languages.

I don't know firsthand whether or how effectively any of these languages are being transmitted
to children, and I'm definitely not denying that there's an urgent situation -- in fact, hundreds
of urgent situations -- in North East India, but releasing an official list of "extinct" languages
that is mostly incorrect doesn't seem like it's contributing to a solution.

--
Scott DeLancey
Department of Linguistics

On Fri, 6 Aug 2010 10:56:04 -0700, Phillip E Cash Cash <cashcash at EMAIL.ARIZONA.EDU> wrote:
> Hmar, Paite, Mao language extinct: UN report
>
> Written by Mizoram Express

 Zoram Khawvel
> Aug 6, 2010

 Tribal languages under threat.