Preserving a language (fwd link)

Phillip E Cash Cash cashcash at EMAIL.ARIZONA.EDU
Thu Aug 19 23:41:01 UTC 2010

Preserving a language
Ray Kiogima, tribal elder and expert in Anishinaabemowin, writes definitive
book on Odawa language

By Christina Rohn News-Review Staff Writer
USA

Ray Kiogima is hoping to leave his legacy.

For the past two years, the 80-year-old Harbor Springs native, and elder of
the Little Traverse Bay Bands of Odawa Indians, has written and compiled
everything he knows about Anishinaabemowin — his native language.

With the help of the Andrew J. Blackbird Museum board, Kiogima has had the
opportunity to publish “The Complete Odawa Language.”

“I wanted to preserve the Odawa language,” Kiogima said. “I’m thinking,
after I’m gone, this will be here for people.”

Kiogima has written the book in textbook form. It includes three
dictionaries — Odawa phrases, English-to-Odawa and Odawa-to-English.

Access full article below:
http://www.petoskeynews.com/community/article_b95057a4-abcc-11df-a563-001cc4c03286.html