suggestions anyone?

Heather Souter hsouter at GMAIL.COM
Thu Dec 9 21:20:13 UTC 2010

Taanshi, Richard,

I continue to be both encouraged and impressed by your commitment.  I was
wondering if you happened to know about the Miami language and the work of
Darrel Baldwin and others to revitalize it?  The language "went silent" in
the 1960's and Darryl, a tribal member, taught himself to speak what he
calls a "functional form" of the language.  Then, he went on to teach his
children.  They became the first "first language" speakers in decades.

It is an amazing story and the kind of which I hope becomes much more common
place.  I hope you draw strength from it....

http://www.endangered-languages.com/miami.php
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=G4418jOBgpI
http://www.myaamiaproject.org/staff.html

Eekoshi pitamaa.
Heather

On Thu, Dec 9, 2010 at 2:12 PM, Richard Zane Smith <rzs at wildblue.net> wrote:

> [...]
>> English, despite our objections and justifications. We too did not have
>> regular meetings between language speakers and teachers, so communication
>> was stymied. Furthermore, our knowledge of language acquisition was
>> considered sub-par, since the majority of our speakers are not licensed
>> teachers. I still work at the school, but in a different capacity and I've
>> found allies in the school who DO value our knowledge as speakers and who DO
>> want our input. It seems like sometimes it's just about finding the right
>> people to stand behind us.
>>
>> Do the teachers have to be in your classroom? We had to have licensed
>> teachers in the room because we were not licensed, but I'm not sure if
>> that's the case for you. Also, do the teachers know or are they learning
>> some of the language? Maybe someone had suggested it already, but doing a
>> TPR demonstration with the teachers in a language they DON'T know can be
>> pretty convincing! Or, sometimes it helps for them to see research data that
>> supports the effectiveness of immersion. That said, there are some who seem
>> as if they will never understand or don't want to, no matter what evidence
>> you present them with. I've worked with those people and it's very
>> challenging on many levels, but what brought me through was the support and
>> encouragement of other language activists, which is why I wanted to write to
>> you. The work you're doing -as a volunteer, no less!- seems very admirable
>> and I'm sure it's making a difference for those kids far beyond what you can
>> even see now.
>>
>> Best wishes to you,
>>
>> Beth Brown
>>
>> Program Associate, Dakota Language
>> American Indian Studies
>> University of Minnesota
>>

>> On Tue, Nov 23, 2010 at 12:04 PM, Richard Zane Smith <rzs at wildblue.net>wrote:
>>
>>> I'm working with preschool kids
>>> introducing the Wyandot language...which is great..but
>>> its not ideal.I can only volunteer so much time as its not a funded
>>> position.
>>> So far the tribal council hasn't considered our Language as
>>> essential...(another topic!)
>>>
>>> Relationships are good with teachers BUT
>>> I'm finding I'm having conflict when I'm using ONLY "wandat"
>>> and teachers keep "helping" -- interpreting into english for the
>>> students!!!
>>>
>>> they don't seem to understand that KIDS DON'T NEED ENGLISH INTERPRETATION
>>> and if something isn't working, its MY problem and i'll try using
>>> the "new" words in a different context...
>>> maybe stressing the new words less, and wrapping it with familiar words.
>>>
>>> But what can i tell these teachers!?! I don't want to offend them
>>> by correcting them in class...though , in a couple classes i shook my
>>> head
>>> smiling saying "no interpreting!" but they looked offended.
>>> I requested a meeting,that isn't happening...
>>>
>>> Is there some "easy to comprehend" instruction about this kind of
>>> ske:noh