Apple, Cherokee Indians Partner on iPhone Language Capability (fwd link)

Phillip E Cash Cash cashcash at EMAIL.ARIZONA.EDU
Fri Dec 24 23:25:06 UTC 2010

Apple, Cherokee Indians Partner on iPhone Language Capability

By: Nathan Eddy
2010-12-24
USA

While the age of smoke signals as a means of rapid communication has
clearly passed, a partnership between slick computer maker Apple and
members of the Cherokee Indian tribe in the U.S. suggest the spoken
language of the country’s native inhabitants won’t be lost to
history-- the tribe is currently working with the company to develop
Cherokee language software for Apple’s iPhone, iPod and iPad tablet
devices. "There are countries vying to get on these devices for
languages, so we are pretty excited we were included," Joseph Erb, who
works in the Cherokee Nation's language technology division, told the
Associated Press.

Access full article below:
http://www.eweek.com/c/a/Midmarket/Apple-Cherokee-Indians-Partner-on-iPhone-Language-Capability-724515/