Searching for Precedents for Having Native Elders as Fully Enfranchised Members of MA Thesis Committee

Heather Souter hsouter at GMAIL.COM
Sat Jan 23 01:24:13 UTC 2010

Taanshi, hello!

I am earching for precedents for having an Native Elder(s) as fully
enfranchised Members of a MA thesis committee.  My thesis incorporates video
documentation, storytelling, oral history, linguistic analysis of a Native
language done through a reflexive and collaborative process with the fluent
speakers involved.  As the knowledge and direction of one Elder in
particular is essential for me to be able to do the project, I would like to
ask her to be on my thesis commitee.  However, I need to make a case for
this and the dean our graduate school (University of Lethbridge, Lethbridge,
Alberta, Canada) has asked me to do some research.  She is very supportive
but I need to supply her with hard facts so she can go to the president of
the university with my request and hopefully set some new policy.

Kihchi-maarsii por toñ aad!   Thanks for your help!

Eekoshi pitamaa. That is it for now.
Heather Souter
MA Candidate, Michif Language and Linguistics
University of Lethbridge
Alberta
Canada