“Protecting Our Language”and the Dakota way

Phillip E Cash Cash cashcash at EMAIL.ARIZONA.EDU
Mon Jan 25 17:53:38 UTC 2010

“Protecting Our Language” and the Dakota way

By Scott Tedrick, Editor
Advocate Tribune
Mon Jan 25, 2010, 09:35 AM CST
Granite Falls, Minn. (USA)

There may be nothing more important to a culture’s identity than its language.

According to National Geographic explorer Wade Davis, at the time
today’s typical adult was born there were 6,000 languages spoken on
earth. Today, “fully half” are no longer being taught to school
children.

Looking at a map of Minnesota, names such as Minneapolis, Kandiyohi,
Mankato dot the landscape in reference to the Dakota  language – the
very first spoken in the state.

Yet, the existence of the very language from which the word
“Minnesota” derives is in danger of being lost. In fact, after the
recent passing of two Dakota elders, including local Rev. Gary
Cavender, only nine first generation speakers remain to pass on the
vernacular as it was once spoken – true to the sound and inflections
as it had been expressed, at one time, in abundance.

Such knowledge should indicate what makes “Dakota Wicohan’s” mission:
to preserve Dakota as a living language, and through it, transmit
Dakota lifeways to future generations,  so important to all
Minnesotans.

Access full article below:
http://www.granitefallsnews.com/news/x1090818806/-Protecting-Our-Language-and-the-Dakota-way