We are Guahan: Ask for more time for review of EIS on U.S. military expansion

Jennifer Teeter teeter42 at GMAIL.COM
Fri Jan 29 02:21:11 UTC 2010

*
http://tenthousandthingsfromkyoto.blogspot.com/2010/01/we-are-guahan-ask-for-more-time-for.html

University of Guam Professor Michael Lujan Bevacqua
<http://minagahet.blogspot.com/>details the environmental and societal
devastation ahead for Guam if the US proceeds to expand its military bases
there (they already cover 1/3 of the island*)

>From Genevievie at *We are Guahan*: ASK FOR MORE
TIME!!!<http://www.weareguahan.com/archives/544>
:

According to federal regulations, an EIS should “normally” be less than 150
pages. For “proposals of unusual scope or complexity” you’d normally get 300
pages. That’s probably why the 45 day commenting period is normally
sufficient, but the 90 days given to Guam residents to review 10,000 pages
is not. …Please make this comment on the Build Up website
http://www.guambuildupeis.us/comments/new

COMMENT:

“I request an extension of time of the public commenting period. According
to 40 CFR § 1502.7, an EIS should typically be between 150 and 300 pages. I
do not believe that the 45 day commenting period required by 40 CFR §
1506.10(c), nor the 90 day commenting period Guam has been given, is
reasonable considering the magnitude of the DEIS document itself and the
possible impact on the residents of Guam“.

Share This post !

More background at the *We are Guahan* <http://www.weareguahan.com/>
site; Vanessa
Warheit's blog; <http://theinsularempire.blogspot.com/> and a nutshell
summmary at our post--Does the US intend to turn Guam the next Diego
Garcia--an island turned into a massive military base by the US and UK in
1971?<http://tenthousandthingsfromkyoto.blogspot.com/2010/01/is-guam-next-diego-garcia-island-turned.html>

--
Greenheart Project
www.greenheartproject.org