Indigenous Peoples Issues & Resources

Rolland Nadjiwon mikinakn at SHAW.CA
Wed Jul 7 06:00:31 UTC 2010

Hi Jimmy...Your package arrived in my mailbox with the morning mail. It
was placed inside a much larger sealed plastic bag along with the
contents of the manila envelope which had been torn open. All of the
printed materials are intact but taken out of the envelope. The one
music cd and the three DVDs have been removed and were not in the
plastic bag. I am sorry to say and so very disappointed the cd and DVDs
did not make it to me. I have attached photos of that part of the
plastic bag, which is much larger than in the photo by about twice,
which carries the postal corp. apology for the condition they found it
in in the mail processing system.

I have no idea if it was opened by Candian or USA immigration but
someone did open it and removed only the cd and DVDs but for what ever
reason, I have no idea. Perhaps with increased security everywhere and
in particular on the borders our names on the envelope Huan and Nadjiwon
are not sufficiently English American or Canadian and so raise a 'red
flag' at security. I have had similar incidents but usually the tapes
were destroyed by pulling and knotting or the cd/DVDs were cut up. I
think this is the first time they have disappeared completely. I am sure
they will review the contents and destroy the discs.

I was much too upset and saddened earlier today, after I had received
the damaged packages with the missing items, to try and tell you about
them. All I can figure is you are Siraya and I am Potowatomi(Native
North American)...maybe it is dangerous for us to exchange information
and knowledge on our peoples.

I have posted to the ILAT list so one: they can all know what has
happened to an exchange of intellectual knowledge and two: if anyone on
the list has had the same or similar experiences with information
exchange in this manner. Or, if anyone can enlighten me as to why this
should happen, how common is it and how selective....

Jimmy, I am so sorry this has happened. I was so looking forward to the
very special gifts which would enable me to hear your peoples songs,
language, young persons and being able to use it as a springboard to
deep discussions in the class and for my own...how can I put
it...happiness and satisfaction in the audio visual sharing of another
indigenous culture. I am so sorry Jimmy for whoever, persons or
government, have committed this violation...

I think I had best have a good cup of herbal tea and calm down a
bit...wow...I feel so bad....

-------
wahjeh
rolland nadjiwon

A clear conscience is usually a sign of a bad memory…