Lost materials

Claire Bowern clairebowern at GMAIL.COM
Thu Jul 8 16:58:11 UTC 2010

I've had DVDs/CDs impounded by customs too. ... and it was through
sending them via FedEx. I was told that they were suspicious of
cryptically labelled homemade DVDs (I was sending my backup Yan-nhangu
field materials to be archived at SOAS). Apparently they are worried
about pornography and counterfeit movies. I had to give them a fully
itemised list of the contents (which wasn't hard because all the
metadata was on the "readme" on the first DVD...)
Claire

On Thu, Jul 8, 2010 at 1:04 AM, Chun Jimmy Huang <huangc20 at ufl.edu> wrote:
> Thank you Heather, Thank you Dr. Hardman, Thank you Richard, and Thank you
> Rolland.
>
> I've made new copies and will send them out via UPS or FedEx tomorrow. I
> hope we won't see any more disturbing pictures of broken envelops.
>
> peace
> Jimmy
>

> On Wed Jul 07 18:08:20 EDT 2010, Heather Souter <hsouter at GMAIL.COM> wrote:
>
>> Taanshi, Jimmy,
>>
>> I am glad to be able to tell you that I did indeed receive the CDs and
>> they
>> were indeed played on the air!  I apologize for not getting back to you
>> about this sooner!!  BTW, they were very well received by those who were
>> listening.
>>
>> Now, if you give me permission, I would be willing to make copies and send
>> them to Rolland and/or other folks in Canada for you if Fedex or a courier
>> service is not workable.  (At least the border security folks wouldn't be
>> scrutinizing the package!  It is shocking to know that singing in our
>> languages is considered subversive!!!!)
>>
>> Eekoshi pitamaa.
>> Heather
>>

>> On Wed, Jul 7, 2010 at 12:30 PM, Chun Jimmy Huang <huangc20 at ufl.edu>
>> wrote:
>>
>>> Oh, wow, I am in shock! This has never happened to me before (or has it?
>>> Did you receive my music cds for your friend's radio show, Heather?)
>>>
>>> At first I thought it might simply be a piracy inspection. Some countries
>>> do check all self-burnt discs. But (1) everything I sent you was
>>> originally
>>> produced by small, local NGOs and was never meant for commercial use, so
>>> there should be no copyright concern, and (2) normally the inspector(s)
>>> would place the materials back to the envelop if they haven't found
>>> anything
>>> illegal. So hm... I couldn't justify it. And I, too, would like to know