Language lessons serve future generations (fwd link)

Phillip E Cash Cash cashcash at EMAIL.ARIZONA.EDU
Sun Jul 11 18:48:16 UTC 2010

*Language lessons serve future generations*

Jul 9, 2009
by Ileiren Poon
Alberta, Canada

Edmonton-Dorothy Thunder is determined to make sure future generations -
including her own daughter - have the opportunity to listen to the language
Thunder learned while growing up.

Thunder is a Cree-language instructor with the University of Alberta's
Canadian Indigenous Languages and Literacy Development Institute. But for
her, learning about Cree in an academic setting, even though she could speak
it fluently, was a little disorienting.

"It's like doing the whole process backwards," she said. "When I learned to
speak Cree in my home, I just listened and learned and spoke. It was
automatic, but I didn't know there was a formal structure to what I was
speaking."

Access full article below:
http://www.uofaweb.ualberta.ca/cilldi/news.cfm?story=92681