flip video: documentation

Phillip E Cash Cash cashcash at EMAIL.ARIZONA.EDU
Mon Jul 19 18:50:40 UTC 2010

We had a demo of the Flip camera at this year's InField 2010 (
http://logos.uoregon.edu/infield2010/workshops/video-rec-editing-1/index.php)
video workshop.  The main advantage of the Flip camera is its ease of use,
mobility, price, and size.  Neskie is right in that it does record fairly
good video, that is of the HD kind or MPEG-4 format.  Anticipate 2-4 GB of
use/storage.  As with any video recording, audio is a key issue.  This is
especially so with the Flip camera and the audio-conscious
documentarian/community language advocate.  Audio is average (whatever that
might be to your ear!).  An alternative, quality mic source may be desirable
here if you are seriously considering using the Flip camera.  Nonetheless, I
could see where this might be an attractive advantage for many folks since
it is so affordable.  Besides, it might be a bit boring to try and use it
like a conventional video camera.  But are we boring people?  hehe, I didn't
think so.

Phil