Native Youth, Clinging to Their Culture (fwd link)

Phillip E Cash Cash cashcash at EMAIL.ARIZONA.EDU
Fri Jul 30 17:40:50 UTC 2010

Native Youth, Clinging to Their Culture
'At potlatches they speak in our language. I've no idea what's going on.'
Fifth in a reader-funded series.

By Jacqueline Windh, Today, TheTyee.ca
Canada

When I questioned native teens about their language and culture, it didn't
matter whether they hailed from the remote villages or the small towns or
the big city. Their tone was, with few exceptions, the same: wistful.

"At potlatches they speak in our language," says Alanda Atleo, 20, of
Tofino. "I'd like to know what they're saying. I don't understand, though.
I've no idea what's going on."

Alanda says she"s happy that she at least knows a few words. "I've tried to
learn, asked around. But I don't get much."

According to 2006 Census data, only 18 per cent of Aboriginal children who
live in B.C. and attend elementary or high school had an Aboriginal teacher
or teacher's aide. And only seven per cent of the children had a teacher or
aide who actually taught in an Aboriginal language.

Access full article below:
http://thetyee.ca/News/2010/07/30/ClingingToCulture/