Fwd: Newsletter from Charlotte Harris Rees - June 2010

scott delancey delancey at UOREGON.EDU
Thu Jun 24 22:14:16 UTC 2010

Sounds like this is some fuzzy aftermath of Gavin Menzies' story about Chinese settling in Mexico and Peru a couple generations before Columbus (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Gavin_Menzies).
Scholars pretty much consider it nonsense (http://www.1421exposed.com/).   There is actually some evidence for trans-Pacific contact prior to the European invasion -- I understand that there is
evidence for chickens in Mexico before Columbus, and chickens are definitely originally from Asia.  But no linguistic evidence for anything of the kind, as far as I know.

--
Scott DeLancey
Department of Linguistics

Subject: Newsletter from Charlotte Harris Rees - June 2010