Fonts

Andrew Cunningham lang.support at GMAIL.COM
Mon Mar 1 07:39:31 UTC 2010

Hi Maxime,

With Keyman ... you can create and use both 8-bit and Unicode keyboard
layouts. Both should work in recent versions of MS Office, the only
real problem is if the fonts add characters to codepoints that Word
would remap to certain Unicode characters.

Older keyman layouts from much older versions of keyman may need to be
recompiled on a newer version if you want to use the legacy fonts on a
more recent computer.

For some African languages we've used SILConverters 3.1
(http://scripts.sil.org/EncCnvtrs) to convert documents using legacy
fonts to Unicode, once the mapping file is created, the conversion is
usually quick and simple.

But Windows 2000 onwards and Office 2000 onwards have had Unicode
support, not familiar with the fonts you mentioned.

But assuming that its latin script and requires complex rendering
(i.e. has combining diacritics), then office 2003 is the minimum
requirement. Alternatively you might get some mileage form the most
recent version of OpenOffice wish should install on Windows 2000 and
can use Graphite fonts.

If you could tell me more off list, I could give you more precise information.

Andrew

--
Andrew Cunningham
Vicnet Research and Development Coordinator

andrewc at vicnet.net.au
lang.support at gmail.com