New push begins to save Salish language (fwd link)

Phillip E Cash Cash cashcash at EMAIL.ARIZONA.EDU
Wed Mar 24 18:37:13 UTC 2010

New push begins to save Salish language

By David Flores
USA

FLATHEAD RESERVATION - In an effort to revitalize the Salish language,
members of the Salish Tribe are holding monthly meetings to discuss
reorganization of language teaching and initiatives to encourage use
of the native language. During the fifth meeting, held March 3 at the
Salish-Pend d'Oreille culture committee building, a plan of action was
submitted for elder approval.

Linda Ferris, who is training to be a Salish language teacher with the
Native American Language Teacher Training Institute at the Salish
Kootenai College, said the meetings are a way to coordinate a variety
of efforts to teach the Salish language.

Everyone has to be on board, she explained, including the Nk'wsum
Immersion School, the Salish Kootenai College and the Native American
Language Teacher Training Institute.

"It takes more than one person to revitalize Salish," Ferris said. "We
need to educate people. We cannot put all our eggs in one basket."

Access full article below:
http://leaderadvertiser.com/news/article_0ccac49c-3764-11df-b08f-001cc4c03286.html