Training Young Mapuche Filmmakers in Chile (fwd link)

Phillip E Cash Cash cashcash at EMAIL.ARIZONA.EDU
Thu May 6 22:16:46 UTC 2010

Training Young Mapuche Filmmakers in Chile
By Daniela Estrada

SANTIAGO, May 6, 2010 (IPS) - "I want to film the few untouched natural
resources we have left and show the injustices that have been committed
against our communities," Claura Anchio, who took part in an innovative free
filmmaking course for young Mapuche Indians in Chile, told IPS.

Anchio was referring to a number of garbage dumps and water treatment plants
installed near Mapuche lands in the southern Chilean region of Araucanía.

Because of these developments, Mapuche communities have accused the Chilean
state of "environmental racism" before the United Nations Committee on the
Elimination of Racial Discrimination (CERD).

The 27-year-old Anchio is one of 20 young Mapuche selected to attend the
first course ever organised to teach filmmaking to members of Chile's
largest native group, in order to draw attention to their experiences and
problems.

Taiñ Azkintun ("Our View" in the Mapuche language) is the name of this
initiative organised by the non-governmental Citizen's Observatory and the
Mapuche newspaper Azkintuwe. The course is financed by the Canadian embassy
and sponsored by La Frontera University and the Catholic University of
Temuco, both based in Araucanía.

"The idea is to give them basic but essential tools so that they can inform
and communicate from their communities, whether in the sphere of reporting
wrongs, communicating culture or maintaining and recovering language,"
Mapuche journalist Pedro Cayuqueo, the editor of Azkintuwe and one of the
project's coordinators, told IPS.

Access full article below:
http://www.ipsnews.net/news.asp?idnews=51345